Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Book review: A Blue Butterfly Bids Farewell by Sophie van der Stap

Title: A blue butterfly bids farewell - Een Blauwe Vlinder Zegt Gedag
Author: Sophie van der Stap
Genre: Fiction mixed with non-fiction
Subject: Travel, Death, Friendship
Publisher: Prometheus
Release date: August, 2008
Length: 224 pages
I got this book: From the library

Summary:
In girl with nine wigs, Sophie tells the story of her life with cancer. In this book she is trying to deal with the question: what to do if life is given back to you? At age 23 Sophie has a battle behind her and that disconnects her with her previous life, the life before cancer. Sophie is in a "bad" relationship and she has to say good-bye to her friend Chantal, who wasn't so lucky as Sophie. This book is written for Chantal and tells her tale as well was the tale of Sophie, travelling the world trying to find the meaning of her life.

Personal opinion:
I loved Sophie's previous book: Girl with nine wigs and I wanted to know how she went on after that so this book was on my to-read list for a while. I discovered while reading that this book is partly fiction, which disappointed me a bit because I hoped to read about Sophie's life now. The beginning of the book is promising, but through out the book I kind of lost interest. I guess it is because at some point she was travelling so fast that I didn't have the time to grasp it all. I also think that I went in with too high expectations and therefore judged this book too harsh when it didn't meet those expectation. However this book isn't bad on its own, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be. The book does have parts I did enjoy so therefore I give it an okay rating. Sadly the books from this Dutch writer haven't been translated to English yet. If they ever will, I do suggest you read Girl with nine wigs because that truly is a 5 star book, which deserves to be translated and enjoyed by readers all over the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment